- Sugar cookie dough
- Parchment paper
- Decorative icing in white (buy pre-made or use your favorite icing recipe)
- Deocrating gel (in red-I used icing)
- Rolling pin
- Large heart shaped cookie cutter
How to make it
– Roll out the cookie dough between two sheets of parchement paper to 1/4 inch thick. It may be easier to work in smaller batches.
– Cut out hearts using a large heart shaped cookie cutter. Place the hearts on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
– Using a butter knife, gently cut lightning bolt shaped cracks into the cookie, starting at the middle and cutting half way down the right side. Leave the heart attached by a inch at the base of the crack.
– Bake the cookies according to the recipe, then gently set aside to cool.
– Once all the cookies are baked and cooled, pipe the icing onto the cookies, use a butter knife to spread the icing evenly over the cookie before the icing dries.
– Allow the icing to fully dry – about 15 minutes.
– Once the icing is dry, use your red decorating gel (or icing) tube to write “-A” on the left side of the cookies.