Disclosure: From Downriver To Downright Country receives products in order to conduct a review, no monetary compensation was provided unless noted otherwise. All opinions are 100% my own. In case of a giveaway the sponsor is responsible for the delivery of prize(s), unless noted otherwise.
October is SIDS Awareness Month. Learn more about the problem and the risk factors and take action to reduce the risk. Start by always placing babies on their backs to sleep.
Understanding the Problem
About 4,000 infants die suddenly and unexpectedly each year in the United States. These deaths are called sudden unexpected infant deaths (SUID). Often an autopsy alone cannot explain these deaths without investigating the scene and reviewing the infant’s medical history.
Safe Sleep Tips
Share these tips with all caregivers to ensure safe sleep for your baby:
- Place baby to sleep on his or her back at naptime and at night time.
- Room-share, but don’t bed share; the American Academy of Pediatrics recommend against bed sharing as it can lead to an increased risk for accidental suffocation.
- Use a crib or bassinet that meets current safety standards with a firm mattress that fits snugly and is covered with only a tight-fitting crib sheet.
- Remove all soft bedding and toys from your baby’s sleep area (this includes loose blankets, bumpers, pillows and positioners). The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests using a wearable blanket instead of loose blankets to keep your baby warm.
- Offer a pacifier when putting baby to sleep. If breastfeeding, introduce pacifier after one month or after breastfeeding has been established.
- Breastfeed, if possible, but when finished, put your baby back to sleep in his or her separate safe sleep area alongside your bed.
- Never put your baby to sleep on any soft surface (adult beds, sofas, chairs, water beds, quilts, sheep skins etc.)
- Never dress your baby too warmly for sleep; keep room temperature 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Never allow anyone to smoke around your baby or take your baby into a room or car where someone has recently smoked.
I have always loved the HALO SleepSack but it wasn’t until I was writing the review that I really sat down and thought about the reasons I loved the product. I had originally registered for a couple of the SleepSacks because I knew that putting blankets on infants wasn’t recommended and I wanted to make sure my babies stayed warm all night. Whether its on and I keep the air on, or its a cool fall/winter night I often find myself with one leg out of the blanket. I couldn’t imagine what my kids would do at night.
“Halo’s Mission is putting Babies First
Our founder Bill Schmid and his wife Cathy lost their first born to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). From this tragedy, HALO® and its mission were born. For more than 20 years we’ve been dedicated to putting the health, safety and well-being of babies first. From our bestselling SleepSack® wearable blankets that help babies sleep safely, to our award-winning Bassinest™ Swivel Sleeper that lets you sleep safely next to your baby, to our ComfortLuxe® Sleepwear that helps little ones with sensitive skin sleep more comfortably, all we do comes from the core idea of putting babies first. “
So here is my take on the HALO SleepSack. The first thing that I love about the SleepSack is that it takes the place of any blanket needs you may have. As a mom I always have such anxiety over whether my baby is too hot or too cold. Fleece PJ’s seem to warm to me but might be perfect for them. In the summer when it gets hot as heck I worry that they get too hot, but at the same time we have A/C on blast so they might get cold and in the winter we have the heat on, but it seems like our rooms never get too warm…then of course I worry that they move to much and a blanket may end up on their face and that is too scary to worry about! That is why I am greatly thankful for Halo! What I like is that the SleepSacks are roomy enough that you can put regular PJ’s on your kiddo and then put the sleep sack over those for the chilly nights. On warmer nights you could just use a onesie and the SleepSack.
Also, my kiddos are both stomach sleepers. I know that back is the best position and from newborn-12 months I always laid them on their back, but once they learned to roll over they favored their tummies. I am using the SleepSack Early Walker in the
Fleece Robot design for my son. What I love about this Sleepsack is roomy enough that he can use his legs to kick himself over and, unlike a blanket, it doesn’t bunch up by his face, and keeps his legs covered and warm at night. With its unique foot openings, the SleepSack Early Walker wearable blanket allows for greater mobility while babies are awake, but also keeps little feet covered and warm while sleeping. In addition to helping your baby sleep safer, the HALO SleepSack wearable blanket helps your baby or toddler sleep better, too. It is a warm cuddly blanket they cannot kick off; ensuring little ones sleep soundly throughout the night. The HALO SleepSack wearable blanket becomes the trusted bedtime routine, providing the secure feeling he needs to fall asleep fast and sleep soundly throughout the night.
- Foot openings for mobility when awake. Room to tuck in feet at night.
- Unzips from the bottom for easy diaper changes.
- Generous sack design allows room for kicking, but cannot be kicked off so baby stays warm all night.
- Machine wash with like colors.
- 100% Polyester Micro-fleece
I also love the different materials like fleece and cotton. The fleece is perfect for the chilly nights and the cotton is perfect for the warm summer nights. And all of the designs are super cute. My son loves that he can play while being warm and covered in his new favorite blankey.
Along with blanketing another very important factor in keeping your child safe is having them sleep in a safe area. Although many parents would love to sleep with their baby, that is not reality and we all know it is not safe. Halo created the closest thing to having your baby in bed with you! It is called the Halo Bassinest Swivel Sleeper.
Find out where to purchase the Halo Bassinest Here.
ONE lucky reader will win a Halo SleepSack in your choice of size and design! Enter using the Giveaway Tools Entry Form Below. This giveaway is open to US Only and will remain open until 10/26 until 11:00pm CST.